This is your official “Notice of Meeting” of the Gaelic Games Europe Annual Convention 2017, as required under GAA Rules.
This year’s Convention will be held on 25th & 26th November in the Leuven Institute for Ireland in Europe, Leuven, Belgium.
The Annual Convention is the main policy and decision-making forum for Gaelic games in Europe and clubs wishing to be involved in making these important decisions should make every effort to attend. Clubs are now invited to begin preparations now by selecting delegates, making travel plans and considering nominations and motions for consideration.
Each club attending this years convention will be asked to pay €50 fee for the cost of convention. Year on year our costs of convention have increased and last year it cost almost €10,000. By asking each club attending to pay €50 to attend it will firstly help offset costs of convention and allow us to better use resources for coaching and refereeing and in general help us all play our Gaelic Games. Clubs will be invoiced for this payment once the deadline outlined below has passed.
Who can attend?
- Each affiliated club may send two delegates.
- Clubs who, during the current year, have competed in a European Championship in more than two “codes” (i.e. hurling, camogie, football and ladies football) may send an extra delegate for each code they have competed in, subject to a maximum of 2 additional delegates.
- Affiliated National Federations may also send one delegate.
Clubs are required to inform the Board in advance of their delegates (and observers, who are also entitled to attend but not vote) by completing –> Delegate/Observer booking form at the bottom of the page.
Submitting motions and nominations
- Motions should be confined to changing existing policies or establishing a new policy, amending competition structures or rules, or even to submit a motion to the Annual Congresses of the GAA, LGFA or Camogie Associations.
- You will find the most recent rules and regulations of each association and of Gaelic Games Europe on our website.
- In the coming weeks you will be sent our new proposed regulations, that we in the CCC have been working on for the last year. Motions should be submitted on the basis of this document OR on our current regulations.
- Motions can be submitted by completing the form at the end of this section.
- As with every year, all* Board roles are open to nomination and election/re-election (my own included!) and clubs wishing to submit nominations can do so by clicking the button at the bottom of the page and completing the form.
- Details of the current Board can be seen at https://gaelicgameseurope.com/committee/ and anyone with any question as to what a specific role involves can contact the relevant officer/me for more information.
*: In accordance with GAA Rules, the role of Children’s Officer shall be appointed on the recommendation of the outgoing County Committee.
Who can vote?
- Each delegate, along with members of the outgoing Board, has one vote in any election and on any motion under discussion.
- Proxy voting is not allowed under GAA rules and thus only delegates who are present may vote.
- Gaelic Games Europe will provide accommodation for delegates, on a room-sharing basis (twin/triple rooms; single rooms are available at extra cost to delegate) including bed and breakfast, for the Friday & Saturday nights and lunch on the Saturday.
- Final confirmation of accommodation is required by the Institute one week in advance of the event and any cancellations after that stage will be charged to the Management Committee and may subsequently be passed on to the relevant club.
- Observers are also welcome but they must pay for their own accommodation and meals etc. – Full details will sent to club secretaries.
- Due to ongoing and ever-increasing expenditure on our core operations – games development and coaching, provision of referees for tournaments and other tournament related costs – Gaelic Games Europe is unfortunately not in a position to assist club delegates with their travel expenses.
- Clubs may wish to cover their delegates’ expenses and there is no prohibition under GAA Rules from this.
Clubs should be aware of the following important dates:
- Motions- Friday, 27th October 2017
- Nominations of club officers- Wednesday, 1st November 2017
- Confirmation of club delegates – Wednesday, 1st November 2017
- Payment of Convention fee- Friday 10th November 2017
- Saturday, 25th November 2017 – Annual Convention (expected to commence at 9:30 and end at 13.30 on Sunday, 26th November 2017)